Experienced Representation
You Can Trust
Serving Oregon Since 1949

Local: 541-357-9903
Toll Free: 866-951-0032

"Solutions are not always found in the law, but rather by focusing on the people we represent and their particular situation." — Patrick Melendy

Post-divorce modifications may be necessary

| Jan 5, 2015 | Family Law |

While a divorce settlement addresses the issues that Oregon couples are dealing with at that point in time, it might be unlikely that life will continue to stay the same years down the road. Certain aspects of a divorce settlement that may have once been relevant may become unreasonable or impossible to meet. When that happens, modifications may be necessary.

For parents who have been ordered to pay child support, even minor financial changes can place a burden on their ability to pay. Changing lifestyles may have forced one parent to take a lower paying job while others may be living off of unemployment benefits. Parents recovering from a serious injury may have even more trouble paying while also dealing with medical bills.

Child custody may also need addressing as children become more involved in extracurricular activities or one parent begins to take on more responsibility at work. Parents may need to adjust drop off or pick up times or reevaluate how much time the children are spending with each parent. Additionally, a parent must almost always seek a modification of a child custody agreement if he or she is making a move out of Oregon or a significant distance away.

We understand that having trouble paying child support doesn’t mean that you don’t love your child, and neither does realizing that the current child custody arrangement simply isn’t working anymore. Although it may have been years since your divorce, you can petition the court to have child custody, support and even alimony payments modified in order to better suit the current conditions that you and your ex live in. If you’re interested in learning how we may help you address some of these modification issues, be sure to check out our website for more information.

Email Us For A Response

How can we Help?

Contact Us


Our Office

Leahy Cox, LLP
188 West B Street, Building N

Phone: 541-357-9903
Toll Free: 866-951-0032
Fax: 541-746-4109
Map and Directions