Life can be full of both good and bad surprises that happen in the blink of an eye. Being involved in a car accident definitely qualifies as one of the worst possible of these situations, especially if you were the victim of an unfortunate incident. Even the safest of Oregon drivers can come into harm’s way on the roadways due to another party’s reckless or negligent actions.
In the aftermath of a car accident, there are particular steps you can take that can prove invaluable for any potential insurance or legal claims. As chaotic and frightening as the scene may be, attempting to remain as calm as possible can help you more carefully proceed through the following actions:
- Check yourself and any passengers in your vehicle for injuries.
- Relocate your vehicle off of the roadway to a safe area if possible.
- If the circumstances allow for it, check on the physical health of any others involved in the crash.
- Call 911 immediately if anyone has suffered serious injuries.
- Call the police so there will be an official record of the incident.
- Exchange contact information with the other driver and with any potential eyewitnesses.
You will also want to document certain information from the crash scene. This should include as much of the following as possible:
- Photos of any damage to the vehicles involved
- Photos of any damage to the surroundings
- A photo of the other driver’s license plate
- The date and time of the incident
Detailed notes of what took place can also prove beneficial to your future cause. These can include how fast and in which direction you were driving, the conditions of the roadway, and even a simple drawing of the accident scene and what transpired.
Seeking help and support during these challenging times
As a victim of a car accident, you are probably suddenly facing many short- and long-term worries. Mounting medical bills and rehabilitation costs, missing time from work, damage to your vehicle and having to deal with insurance companies could all be causing you some sleepless nights. Fortunately, there are resources readily available to you that can provide you with much-needed assistance throughout these trying times while also significantly increasing the chances of you receiving the maximum amount of monetary damages for your suffering.