If you and your spouse decide to part ways, you may have questions about what to expect from the process and about every vital factor to consider along the way. Identifying and valuing all types of marital property may be just one example of a vital step to take during this process, but this might not always be so simple.
Digital assets are a type of marital wealth that may prove easy to overlook and somewhat difficult to value. Seeking insight on how to identify your digital wealth may prove integral to helping you prepare to protect your future interests by including these assets in your strategy for subsequent divorce proceedings.
Types of digital assets
You and your soon-to-be former spouse may accumulate various forms of digital assets during your marriage, and some common examples of such possessions may include:
- Photo albums: Photo albums that are stored via online outlets are a common example of a type of digital asset, and these may include pictures of important moments in your life.
- Art and music: Digital assets could also take the form of online art and music collections, or even digital book libraries, and such possessions may play a significant role in the subsequent process.
- Media accounts: Social media, email and gaming accounts are all types of digital assets that may be an integral part of your life and it might seem difficult to place a value on such assets.
- Digital currency: Similar assets may also take the form of digital currencies, and this may include anything from cryptocurrencies and security tokens to nonfungible tokens.
- Online content: Online content such as blogs and website domain names are also types of digital assets, and similar items could be a point of contention during a divorce.
It might not be uncommon for some types of digital assets to play a significant role in your life, and knowing how to address similar topics during a divorce could be integral to protecting your interests.
Addressing your options
This may only include a brief list of the types of digital assets that could play a significant role during the end of your marriage. With so much at stake, it could be helpful to consider seeking guidance on how to identify and value all types of marital assets and create a strategy for what comes next that aligns with your needs. Such a decision could prove essential to preparing to protect your interests and help you approach the next chapter of your life in Oregon with peace of mind.